Wednesday, May 4, 2011

DIY Drum Shade Chandelier

Welcome to the first of Savvy Spaces "How to Do It Yourself" blogs!  

I have a client who has "champagne taste on a beer budget!"   I found this chandelier for her dining room, but the price was almost all of her budget for the entire living/dining area, so it was out of the question. 

Solution?  Make it!!
 
Step 1.  Hit the thrift and consignment stores for something super cheap!  I found this at a consignment store for $10.00.  The important part is it has narrow screw type contraption at the top, so when I remove the ugly glass part, I can simply replace it with my drum shade.  We'll get to that a little later.
 
 Step 2.  Take it all apart.  If you need to video or take pictures to remember where everything goes, make sure you do. 

Step 3.  PREP!!!  This is the MOST important step for painting ANYTHING!  Sand off the nasty bits, tape off the bits you don't want painted, and make sure you have a well ventilated work space.  If you're spray painting, PLEASE go outside and use a mask.
 Step 4.  Prime.  Especially if it's metal.  Spray paint is great, but primer makes it better.  Priming this metal base makes sure I'll get a nice finish that will last longer.


Step 5.  PAINT!  YAY!  I chose "Oil Rubbed Bronze" for this fixture.  The other fixtures in the room are the same color, and even though most of it will be hidden by a lamp shade, it's the details that make this special.



Step 6.  Finish the shade.  I bought a nice vinyl decal of a tree, then cut it in half (the long way) so it would go all the way around the lamp shade.  Since the shade is slightly smaller at the top, I had to make some creative cuts to make sure it's as smooth as possible.  The decals are all on the inside.




Step 7.  Put that baby back together.  Here is a close up of where the drum shade fits over the original threaded rod and screw on cap.





Finis!!  Now we have a lovely nature inspired chandelier!



Here is our cost breakdown:

Thrift store light fixture:  $10.00
Spray Paint and Primer:  $12.00
Lamp Shade:  $15.00
Decal:  $13.00

Total Cost:  $50.00 - compared to the original, which was $250.00.  Savings?  $200 bucks!!

This is a slightly more traditional look than the original, which worked out great for my more traditional client.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I just came across your blog when I was looking for help with my chandelier. I picked up a used one similar to the one you deconstructed. Do you have any advice for taking it apart? I'm having a hard time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Xivonne!

    Thanks for reading my blog.

    If you could send me a few pictures of the chandelier, I'd be glad to see if I can help. My email is TheSavvySpace@gmail.com

    I'll especially need pictures of the part where the wires go into the fixture. That's usually where things come apart.

    Thanks!

    Also, check us out on facebook. I'm having a drawing for a free inspiration board, when we get to 100 likes .

    Thanks again!

    Kim Lewis
    www.TheSavvySpace.com
    TheSavvySpace@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Install Chandelier definitely a way to change up the look of a room inexpensively! I enjoyed a lot to making this Drum Shade Chandelier. It's really awesome!
    http://www.expertlightinginc.com/installation.html

    ReplyDelete