Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The (almost) $0 bathroom makeover Day 12-ish

CABINET IS DONE

The cabinets have doors and drawers back.  The coolest thing about doing the cabinet this way, is once we're done, the ugly counter top will be a second thought and barely noticable.  Just wait until the final pictures. 


The letters on the knobs were done with printer paper and copious amounts of wood glue.  I could have bought them at Hobby Lobby, but as we're doing this super cheap, there you are.  The best thing about the wood glue is I can varnish it and it should stay fairly intact for awhile.

We're still at just over $13. 

I'm going to frame the mirrors with some left over molding, but I don't have quite enough, so I will be making a trip to Home Depot.  The molding I used is very inexpensive so we shouldn't be adding too much.

A couple of quick notes on why I chose a few of the things I chose.  This is a kids' bathroom.  They aren't really known for cleaning up after themselves unless you're standing over them with a stick and a carrot.  SO, blue paint on the walls to match the toothpaste we use.  And the off-white, aged cabinet will hide dirt and grime.  Our new vinyl floor is also dark and non-slip, unlike the tile we covered, which was so slick that at night all I did was listen for falls. 

Here's what's left to do - shelves over the sink, shelves over the toilet, bathtub surprise, deepen the shelves in the closet and make room for a hamper.  And finally, trim everything out.  I'm probably going to have a few more expenses, but I'm still thinking this is going to come in under $50.  We'll see how accurately I can estimate.

No comments:

Post a Comment