Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Parisian on the cheap

Here is the dresser that started it all.
 
It costs about $800 bucks.  As much as I like it, I didn't want to spend $800 dollars. 
Time to get creative.  I had a couple of these IKEA Stranda Dressers.  So I took one and decided to give it a makeover.  These cost about $150 at Ikea.

 

 I cut 4 half figure eight panels out of 3/4 inch plywood and attached them to the sides of the dressers using 2x2's and screws.  These go on both sides, front and back. 



After I attached the panels to the dresser I enclosed the sides with bendable MDF.  The MDF followed the curves and cost me about $60.
(Yay Rockler).



Finally, I filled in the holes and edges with woodfiller, sanded and painted. The finished product looks like this. 


I used Ralph Lauren Metallic paints.  They were more expensive than regular paint, but I wanted that pewter type finish.  I spent about $60.  So about $60 for paint and another 30 for the hardware. 

My grand total for the dresser was right at $320.00 dollars.

No comments:

Post a Comment